May 8, 2015

[Photography] Weekly Photography Challenge – Places of Worship

Today I rounded up some images of some special places. Some architectural wonders, many full of history – all special to the people who visit them. This is various places of worship.

Neil Howard

By Neil Howard

 

That could mean a number of different types of buildings and places including:

  • Small home town churches
  • Basilicas
  • Mosques
  • Synagogues
  • Temples
  • Wats
  • Even cemeteries

Weekly Photography Challenge – Places of Worship

In my quest for example images I found a lot of HDR images of interiors – many that were quite a bit over done, at least for my tastes. I even found some of my own images dating back to 2010 when I first started experimenting with HDR and they were making my eyes bleed – my own images! See this article on the stages of HDR photographers, see if you can relate.

So I redid a few from the Montreal Notre Dame Basilica, an amazing thing to see and photograph. I used the new Lightroom 6 (CC) Merge to HDR feature – see what you think.

churches-dps717px-01

churches-dps717px-02

churches-dps717px-03

Just for comparison here are my old versions, my first attempts from 2010. Even pros and teachers make mistakes but we aren’t too big to admit them.

Multiple image HDR

churches-dps717px-05

churches-dps717px-06

“Ewww” right? I agree – let’s move on!

Okay here are some other good examples (in my opinion) of places of worship.

Darlene Hildebrandt

By Darlene Hildebrandt (also my image from Salt Lake City)

Michael Caven

By Michael Caven

Stròlic Furlàn - Davide Gabino

By Stròlic Furlàn – Davide Gabino

Forest Wander

By Forest Wander

Jeff Wallace

By Jeff Wallace

Matthias Rhomberg

By Matthias Rhomberg

Kah-Wai Lin

By Kah-Wai Lin

Now it’s your turn. Think outside the box to other places besides those listed about that might be considered for worship. A quiet outdoor coffee shop, how about sunrise on a deserted beach? What places do people go to find solice and think, or pray (if so inclined)?

Note: please be respectful of people inside places or worship. Those are NOT public areas and you do not have free rights to photograph them. By all means photograph the architecture if you’re allowed but always ask before taking someone’s photo inside. 

Share your images here:

Simply upload your shot into the comment field (look for the little camera icon in the Disqus comments section) and they’ll get embedded for us all to see or if you’d prefer upload them to your favourite photo sharing site and leave the link to them. Show me your best images in this week’s challenge. Sometimes it takes a while for an image to appear so be patient and try not to post the same image twice.

A couple more ideas from my own image collection. Keep in mind you can do bits and pieces of places too, not just grand sweeping wide angle shots. How quiet is this shot of the candles? How meaningful is it though, and does it tell a story of the place?

churches-dps717px-07

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

The post Weekly Photography Challenge – Places of Worship by Darlene Hildebrandt appeared first on Digital Photography School.



it's from Digital Photography School http://ift.tt/1IplKvF
via Darlene Hildebrandt

No comments:

Post a Comment